Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hey guys! and gals! I really need your help. I was recently diagnosed with a lumbar disc bulge?

along with fibromalgia and my doctor began giving me injections in my back, 3 total within 3 months but now the pain is WORSE and I have to take pain meds on a daily basis. Anybody have the same experience or am I just trippin.
Answer:
I just went through back surgery in September '06, i had a lumbar spinal fusion because of Spondylolisthesis (one of my vertebrea was pushed in 50% towards my abdomen), 2 of my disc were completely worn away to the point where i was rubbing bone. I will tell you this personally...i would do what you can, rehab, whatever it takes before you choose the option of surgery. You do not realize the pain of recovery coming out of a back surgery. I should be pass the pain stage as of now, and i am not. Now i do not know if part of that is mental (dependent on pain meds), or if it is physical, but there is definte pain. I am not saying that the Dr. didnt do his job, because i believe he did, if anything else is wrong i believe it has to do with my recovery, because i didnt follow his instructions to the T, it is hard to sit still.
My advice is if you are not pleased with what he is doing, or telling you, then seek another doctor. There are great doctors out there...sometimes you get lucky. If you were in the Houston area i could give you a great name, he is one of the top in the city. I hope this helps.
It might be time to have a surgeon look at your MRI. Injections are conservative therapy. If they don't work, or make it worse, you should stop getting them and move on. Have you tried physical therapy? That's another conservative choice.
The pain is not from the injections it is from the injections not working. Go back to your orthopedic doc to see what his next recommendation is and then consider seeing a pain management doctor.
Just a suggestion:Try getting a second opinion from a chiropractor; you could receive more benefit from that than you may realize.
i work in radiology so i see this alot delaing with the doctors who do this all the time. there is nothing wrong with the injections. they do work, but only for so long thats why the pain comes back and is so much worse than before. keep taking the medicine that your doctor prescribe you. give it another month or two of taking your medicine when you are supposed to. if the pain persists, then get a second opinion and see if surgery is an option and get some info on the type of surgery that they would perform. but make sure you research surgery before commiting to it.
You should ask your doctor about going to physical therapy. Physical therapy can help you with your back by strengthening your core muscles to support your back and educating you on daily things you should and shouldn't be doing. Also it can help with your Fibromyalgia, which is definitely not helping your back issue.
I have a bulging disc in my back too, but instead of the shots they sent me to physical therapy. That seems to be helping out a lot. However, the pain gets worse after I am on my feet all day bending over again and again (I work in a restaurant at night) and my pain killers suck. Urg. So, I am going to keep up with the P.T. It has helped out a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net