Sunday, October 25, 2009

Help!! has anyone ever had a cyst on their tendon on the wrist? it feels like another bone sticking out?

someone told me i need orthopedic surgery to remove it, it is a bumb on the tendon in my wrist about the size of the bone on your wrist? someone also told me it could be injected with steroids to go away? has anyone else had this they say it is common...
Answer:
this is called a Ganglion cyst. I have had this in the past and the doctor told me that it would probably go away on its own. It took a few years, but it DID go away and never came back. It is a common condition. If you don't have severe pain from it I would recommend you leave it alone. If you have any pain place an ice pack on it for ten minutes. This will relieve the pain.
I have had a "ganglion" cyst on my wrist twice. I was told that originally it forms when there is some kind of injury to the wrist. I had it surgically removed once about 20 years ago and eventually it came back and I had it removed again. If it doesn't bother you often I would recommend leaving it alone. If it gets too large and painful you can always have it removed. The thing is that they can come back.
These cysts are fairly common. Surgery is not often done any longer because of the re-occurrence rate. Many times they often go away on their own. Sometimes injections may be given to help reduce the inflammation that they can cause in surrounding tissues. May be a good idea to get it checked out just to make sure it isn't anything more than a cyst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net