Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hospital Nutrician?

My mother recently and very reluctently went into hospital in Bristol. I worked in the NHS for 15 years and I'm not sure why I was so shocked considering, but why is it that basic necessities such as food is so disgusting nowadays. For example, one day as an alternative to the salad that she requested, she was given mashed potatoe which had acquired a skin, corned beef pie, broccoli, carrots and baked beans. This was followed by a yoghurt that was four days out of date! Needless to say, the food was, as the majority of meals on the ward, returned and I presume thrown out. Such a waste and as nutrician is such an important part of recovery, very worrying. The smell of hospitals has changed over the years from the "anti-sceptic clean aroma, to overcooked mixed veg.ugh!
Answer:
When I had my children 5 and 6 years ago, I was appalled by the quality of the food, and also the serving sizes. Considering I was pregnant / breastfeeding and needed extra calories I barely got enough to suppress my hunger. I was also given no assistance when I asked staff to bring me some breakfast as I had been awake for 36 hours without food, after being induced due to pre-eclampsia and my daughter had hardly stopped crying. When I went to get some cold toast I was told I wasn't allowed to take her in the room.Since then I have trained as a Nurse and found the situation seems to have got worse. My trust frequently changed caterers due to complaints about poor quality. Staff were told it was a severe disciplinary offence to eat any of the food, leftover or not. Obviously this was to prevent patients from being denied food to feed the staff. Although I can safely say I would not have eat any of the food even if it was provided for me. I often came across patients whose lunch had been left out of their sight or reach and were not capable of feeding themselves. When you fed a patient you were frequently called away for something "more important". On the other end of the spectrum my childrens school dinners are a vast improvement to what I recieved as a child. But I fail to see why the NHS can not manage the same standard. Yes children need nutritious food, but so do the sick, if not more. They should bring in someone like Jamie Oliver, although preferably less annoying.
totally agree I too am a nurse in a large city hospital my ward is close to the kitchen which makes you want to be sick the smell from it
sorry but complain to the ward sister and hospital manager
take your own food in for your mum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net